DISCLAIMER

PLEASE READ THE DISCLAIMER AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE WHICH APPLIES TO ALL CONTENT IN THIS BLOG AS WELL AS ANY OTHER MATERIAL FROM WE ARE FUTURES TRADERS LLC. READING ANY CONTENT BELOW CONSTITUTES AN AGREEMENT BY ALL READERS THAT THEY HAVE READ AND AGREE TO ALL THAT IS SET FORTH IN THE DISCLAIMER AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE.


Thursday, August 09, 2007

No Change

In spite of all of the emotion surrounding the volatile gyrations in stock prices, fundamentally nothing has changed. As you can see, the commercials continue to be heavily on the long side of this market, which is preventing any sell signal in my world from developing.


Keep in mind that this is news driven trading, and we could easily see a 500 pt up day if there were one good news item that came out. Historically, there has not been one single market crash, with the commercials this heavily long. That does not mean that it cannot happen, but it does mean that the odds are against it. As much as I do not like watching my stocks get hit any more than the next person does, I will not get tied up in an emotional exit. On a short term basis, this is a buying opportunity for a bounce out of this decline. I do think there are big picture issues that may take stocks down more. However, I would expect to see a move to the short side by the commercials before it happens.


I have short term buy signals for Friday depending on the opening, which as I type this appears to be setting up to be a weak one. Bonds did not decline much today, which shows a lack of belief on the part of institutions in todays selloff. A flight to quality would normally occur on a day like this in bonds if insiders were really scared. It is curious that it did not to me.


I do not profess to have all the answers, all I am doing is spelling this out as I see it and as I am trading it.

1 comment:

FSD said...

Chris - Thanks for the update. This seems like a great time for people who are long stocks to be on vacation. But, at least now there is some volatility in the market. I missed seeing that the last couple years.

My opinion ... When volatility is low and everyone is happy is when I am most scared. At least now market participants are looking at their risk level and adjusting appropriately.